ZONE 1

ZONE 2

Phim Bộ

Phim Lẻ

Ca Nhạc

Breaking
News Library Technology Giải Trí Portals Tin Sốt Home

Go Back   VietBF > USA NEWS > USA News in English

Old  Default Congressional Republicans try to hide from Trump’s debate performance
Click image for larger version

Name:	c22.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	2426300

They’re not showing the same clear-eyed analysis from Democrats after Biden’s terrible June 27 debate.

By Paul Kane

Republicans tried to largely hide from former president Donald Trump’s debate performance Tuesday, mostly cheering him on or just avoiding the issue altogether.

Speaking to reporters Wednesday, House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) focused entirely on a failed government funding plan. What did he think of Trump’s debate performance, reporters asked him. Johnson walked away, into the House chamber.

Across the Capitol, Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), the No. 2 GOP leader, fell into the passive voice to avoid criticizing Trump when asked about the missed opportunity to define Vice President Kamala Harris.

“Well, um, that job’s got to get done,” said Thune, who is asking colleagues to promote him to majority leader.

Who should take up that task? Thune ducked into a closed luncheon for GOP senators without answering the question.

That’s hardly a ringing endorsement from the two people who, if he won the presidency, Trump would rely on to advance his agenda on Capitol Hill.

Almost 11 weeks after congressional Democrats faced a political come-to-Jesus moment surrounding President Joe Biden’s standing, Republicans confronted their own version of a presidential nominee who handled his debate performance with confused, rambling answers that diverged into territory few voters care about.

But they had far more reserved reactions than those exhibited by Democrats at the time, who showed up in mourning to a brief series of votes the morning after Biden’s debate with Trump.

Trump on Tuesday came across more energetic than Biden did back on June 27, but his grasp of issues left many Republicans privately expressing deep regret over how their candidate did not do much, if any, of the traditional debate preparation that has been common practice for a few decades.

Other Republicans just blamed moderators for poor questioning, even though Trump spoke for more minutes than Harris and had ample opportunities to drive home those points.

“I think he preps every day. Like President Trump, I do a lot of meetings, town halls, roundtables, and I think that’s the best prep in the world that you can do,” Sen. Roger Marshall (R-Kan.) said Wednesday.

Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.), who has won three deeply contested statewide races through a disciplined, well-funded campaign operation, did not blame Trump for wandering into strange ideological cul-de-sacs and suggested he is so incredibly well known to voters that debate performances won’t matter for him.

“If you don’t know Trump, I don’t know where you’ve been,” Scott said. “Under a rock?”

Other Republicans begrudgingly offered a slight critique — “missed opportunity” was the description of choice — noting how Harris never found herself on the defensive about her two decades of elected service as a prosecutor, senator and vice president.

“I believe that we missed a lot of opportunities last night,” Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) said.

“It was a huge missed opportunity to nail Kamala Harris on some very easy, easy points. Could have been a lot worse,” Rep. Dan Crenshaw (R-Tex.) said.

How could it have been much worse?

“I mean, I don’t think Trump, you know, became overly emotional or lost his cool. He remained stoic,” Crenshaw said. “He never looked over at her the way she kept sneering and jeering at him like a child.”

Contrast that with Democrats’ reactions after Biden’s June debate.

“I think people are panic-stricken,” said Rep. Emanuel Cleaver II (D-Mo.), a 20-year incumbent who serves as a minister and at the time cautioned colleagues not to make rash decisions. “They’re panic-stricken, and I don’t think that’s a good time to think.”

Republicans do not feel free to be that critical of Trump out of fear that, even if he loses, he will continue to use his influence over base voters to extract revenge in primaries against the wayward lawmakers.

Marshall, a onetime traditional conservative who reinvented himself as a far-right agitator, adopted the blame-the-moderators approach to explain how the Biden-Harris record on border security and crime did not become focal points.

Yet he has no explanation for why Trump didn’t make more of those issues in his nearly 43 minutes of speaking, which included plenty of topics that were not questions from moderators.

“I don’t have an answer,” Marshall said.

Crenshaw, who is not considered a MAGA ally of Trump, even defended Trump’s diversion into an unproven claim, based on racist tropes, that Haitian refugees were stealing and eating pets in a small Ohio town, saying the issue has appeared on television.

“It’s like in the news right now, and it’s disgusting. And it’s, yeah, there’s Haitian migrants in Ohio reportedly eating ducks and things at the local parks. Like, I don’t know about pets but, I mean, it’s a thing,” Crenshaw said.

In his formal statement, released moments after the debate ended, Johnson began with remarks that read as if they were written before the debate.

“Tonight, President Donald Trump exposed Vice President Kamala Harris for the dangerous radical she has always been,” the speaker said.

By Wednesday morning, most Republicans had acknowledged that their biggest regret was that Harris had not been exposed and that, in some regards, she came off looking presidential.

“People saw, ‘Oh, actually, she’s an intelligent, capable person who has a point of view on issues,’ and she demonstrated that time and again,” said Sen. Mitt Romney (Utah), the retiring Republican who opposes Trump’s election bid but has not endorsed Harris.

Tillis stood out as the rare Republican who openly criticized Trump for not doing real debate preparations, evident from his lack of ready-to-use quips to criticize Harris for the Biden administration’s handling of the border and inflation, issues on which voters tend to favor Republicans.

“There you go again, Harris,” Tillis said, offering his imaginary answer along the lines that Ronald Reagan used in his debates. “You want to do everything except talk about an agenda that you were partially responsible for implementing.”

Trump has openly mocked his senior campaign advisers at rallies and in interviews for their efforts to get him to focus on policy issues and not personal attacks or false claims that the 2020 election was stolen. According to news reports, those advisers made clear Trump was not doing the traditional mock debates with someone standing in as the opponent and trying to practice lines.

Tillis recalled how, after trailing his opponent for a good portion of his 2020 election, he worked with senior aides who came up with a line that they made Tillis rehearse over and over again.

“If you will say that 11 times, I’ll buy you a steak dinner,” his debate coach said, according to Tillis. He uttered the line 11 times and narrowly won reelection.

“I got the steak dinner,” he recalled, a bone-in porterhouse, medium-rare.

“When you do not heed the advice of experts in politics, you’re probably going to go into dangerous waters,” Tillis said.
VIETBF Diễn Đàn Hay Nhất Của Người Việt Nam

HOT NEWS 24h

HOT 3 Days

NEWS 3 Days

HOT 7 Days

NEWS 7 Days

Thiệu Ngô
R2 Kiếm Khách
Release: 2 Hours Ago

Profile:
Last Update: None Rating: None
Thiệu Ngô_is_offline
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Rep Power: 2 Thiệu Ngô Reputation Uy Tín Level 2Thiệu Ngô Reputation Uy Tín Level 2Thiệu Ngô Reputation Uy Tín Level 2Thiệu Ngô Reputation Uy Tín Level 2Thiệu Ngô Reputation Uy Tín Level 2Thiệu Ngô Reputation Uy Tín Level 2Thiệu Ngô Reputation Uy Tín Level 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Thiệu Ngô For This Useful Post:
Gibbs (2 Hours Ago)

User Tag List

Facebook Comments

iPad Tablet Menu

HOME

Breaking News

Society News

VietOversea

World News

Business News

Other News

History

Car News

Computer News

Game News

USA News

Mobile News

Music News

Movies News

Sport News

ZONE 1

ZONE 2

Phim Bộ

Phim Lẻ

Ca Nhạc

Thơ Ca

Help Me

Sport Live

Stranger Stories

Comedy Stories

Cooking Chat

Nice Pictures

Fashion

School

Travelling

Funny Videos

NEWS 24h

HOT 3 Days

NEWS 3 Days

HOT 7 Days

NEWS 7 Days

HOT 30 Days

NEWS 30 Days

Member News

Tin Sôi Nổi Nhất 24h Qua

Tin Sôi Nổi Nhất 3 Ngày Qua

Tin Sôi Nổi Nhất 7 Ngày Qua

Tin Sôi Nổi Nhất 14 Ngày Qua

Tin Sôi Nổi Nhất 30 Ngày Qua
Diễn Đàn Người Việt Hải Ngoại. Tự do ngôn luận, an toàn và uy tín. V́ một tương lai tươi đẹp cho các thế hệ Việt Nam hăy ghé thăm chúng tôi, hăy tâm sự với chúng tôi mỗi ngày, mỗi giờ và mỗi giây phút có thể. VietBF.Com Xin cám ơn các bạn, chúc tất cả các bạn vui vẻ và gặp nhiều may mắn.
Welcome to Vietnamese American Community, Vietnamese European, Canadian, Australian Forum, Vietnamese Overseas Forum. Freedom of speech, safety and prestige. For a beautiful future for Vietnamese generations, please visit us, talk to us every day, every hour and every moment possible. VietBF.Com Thank you all and good luck.